- Class Name:
- Joining and Bonding Composite Structures
- This course is designed for the student who wants to learn more about joining and bonding advanced composite structures. This course assumes that the student has some experience with composites materials or has attended the "Introduction to Composites" course as a prerequisite. In this course we examine different materials, methods, hardware, methods, and techniques employed in bonding and fastening composite structures.
- Composite technicians, engineers, quality assurance inspectors, procurement personnel, and anyone interested in bonding advanced composite structures.
- 1 Day Course
To provide the student with a fundamental understanding of adhesive bonding principles, methods, and techniques employed in the advanced composite industry.
- Bonding vs. Fastening a composite structure: examining the pros and cons
- Typical joint designs
- Drilling composite structures: tools and techniques
- Fasteners/fastening composites
- Structural adhesives: properties and characteristics of different chemistries and forms
- Failure modes of adhesively bonded joints
- Surface preparation: metals Vs plastics, peel ply surfaces and abrasion techniques
- Cleaning freshly energized composite surfaces
- Bondline thickness control: using carriers and microbeads
- Methods for obtaining uniform clamping pressure at the joint
- Curing the adhesive: fundamentals of time and temperature processing